A grappling dummy is a solution for a big problem for serious BJJ athletes.
How do I log practice hours when I don’t have anyone to train with?
When you need to (or want to) practice on your own, grappling dummies are the way to go. Not only are they a way to drill when you have no training partners, they also let you practice potentially dangerous or difficult moves without needing to worry about your partner.
Read on for pro tips on picking out the best grappling dummy for BJJ.
What is a Grappling Dummy?
A grappling dummy is a human-shaped heavy bag you can use to practice jiu-jitsu (or other kinds of grappling) on by yourself. Think of a standard punching bag, but with arms, legs and a head.
Grappling dummies are usually filled with old clothes or rags in order to give a firm, realistic feel. Many come unfilled, and require you to add filling yourself. Other, more expensive versions may be pre-filled with fabric, foam or other kinds of soft filling.
The benefit of a grappling dummy is being able to train and drill moves by yourself, when otherwise you’d need a training partner. This can be useful when you can’t find anyone available to train with, or you can’t get to the gym.
(Like when there’s a global pandemic going on… for example)
Another awesome use for grappling dummies is training high-impact or dangerous moves. Think throws, high-effort takedowns or flying shit. Many of these moves put your training partner in a dangerous spot, especially when you’re doing the move for the first time. But by using a dummy, you can get repetitions in without worrying about injuring your friends.
Grappling dummies are great for BJJ, but can also be used for wrestling, judo, or MMA (they’re great for drilling hard ground and pound).
Buying a Grappling Dummy: What to Look For
A low-quality or poorly constructed dummy will not help you get better at BJJ. You’d be better off trying to armbar your pillow than some of the dummies out there.
Here are a few important things to look for when looking for the best grappling dummy.
You generally want to practice as close to what you will be fighting. The more realistic the practice is, the better you’ll be able to replicate moves against a real person.
Try and look for a dummy that is as close to the size of a potential partner you will be fighting.
Most dummies weight between forty and sixty kilograms making the dummy, while not the weight of a regular person, enough of a challenge for the average person practicing. The weight makes a huge difference if you are practicing techniques that involve throws or lifts. You need to know you can properly make a move without hurting yourself.
Most practice dummies are leather, canvas, or polyester. You want something that will withstand multiple types of moves for years. A dummy that has double or triple stitching will hold up along with a sturdy canvas or leather material.
You can practice with a dummy that is the shape of a person or a solid shape to help with different moves. As with the height, it’s beneficial to use a grappling dummy that’s as close to the proportions of a regular person as possible, so you won’t have trouble when it comes to trying out moves in real life.
Not all dummies are flexible or bendable, but the type of material the dummy is and how it is stitched can make a huge difference in how flexible the dummy is. If the dummy is canvas, it is less likely to be as flexible as a dummy that is made with leather or a polyester mix.
If the dummy is leather, it will hold up the longest. Canvas is also very durable, but it is more likely to pop stitches. The type of material you choose will feel different as you move through the moves with it.
Top Seven Best Grappling Dummies in 2020
As promised, the best grappling dummies, specifically for BJJ, available today.
- 3.0 Version with addition of Hands and Feet.
- Available in Youth and Adult sizes.
- Ships from North Carolina USA. 1-5 Business days delivery in US. Also ships internationally.
- Works for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Grappling, Wrestling, MMA Ground and Pound.
- Made of heavy duty 22oz Polyester coated vinyl, tight filled.
- Adult Dummy, comes in color Black/Red, Marine Green, Red, Blue, is about the height equivalent of a 6 feet man and weighs approximately 65-70 pounds. Kids Dummy, color Blue/Red is about the height equivalent of a 4.6″ foot kid and weighs approximately 30-35 pounds.
This is a premium option if you’re really serious about getting a dummy that replicates a real person.
The Ring to Cage Deluxe MMA Grappling Jiu-Jitsu Ground & Pound Dummy is a heavy-duty dummy. Made with twenty-two ounce polyester coated vinyl, the dummy comes in a kneeling position so that you can practice ground moves and takedowns.
The dummy is the equivalent of an adult man at around six feet tall. It weighs around twenty pounds and comes in your choice of red and black, red and blue or plain black. The design of the dummy is perfect for practicing leg lock, ankle hooks, and kneebars.
The base of the dummy is very sturdy to practice all kinds of moves. The legs and arms stretch out, so you can do throw and ground pounds. The dummy comes empty of all sand, so you will have to add it all.
- Human features.
- Can weigh up to 40kg depending on filling.
- Easy kneeling setup for practicing guard attacks.
- Tight stitching & durable canvas material.
The Grappling Dummy MMA Wrestling Punch Bag Judo Martial Arts dummy is a durable canvas material. You can fill the Grappling Dummy with sand or only rags to make the dummy pliable and lifelike. The design features tight stitching and is perfect for drill escapes and submission practice.
When stuffed, the dummy weighs about sixty pounds and has very broad shoulders to mimic a very larger man. The dummy comes in a kneeling position with its arms stretched forward. The face s also made into a target, which is perfect for practicing kicks and punches.
- Unfilled – can be up to 100lbs depending on filler.
- Postures on its knees and elbows so you can prepare both quarter position/ turtle position and sprawl position procedures.
- Legs curved 90 degrees at the hips the way a real person does.
- Comes in black canvas or blue leather design.
The Celebrita MMA Grappling Dummy comes in red and back or blue and white and is of canvas construction. Designed in a kneeling position, the dummy’s arms wrap forward as if to grip a partner. You can fill the dummy with cotton or rags to help fill it out.
With the dummy, you can practice different moves both on the floor and standing. The face is a target to help you practice your punches and kicks.
You can also order the dummy in soft, durable leather, which can help you practice without rubbing.
- Standing dummy, designed specially for standup moves.
- Can be filled up by recycled textile cuttings or shredding. Can also be filled up with raw cotton or any suitable filler material.
- Designed for punches, straight shots, point punches, snares, uppercuts, kicks, knee strikes and more to each region of the bag.
- Built with super solid Vinyl for high durability.
- Can weigh up to 40” 25KG, 47” 35KG, 59” 45KG, 70” 55KG.
The Celebrita MMA Vinyl Punching Bag Grappling Dummy is an upright grappling dummy. You can fill the dummy using shredding, rags, or cotton. The dummy is perfect for practicing a kind of moves, including point punches, uppercuts, knee strikes, and any other moves you need to improve on.
The dummy is a solid vinyl construction and can weigh up to fifty-five kilograms when fully stuffed. The dummy has its legs stretched out and its arms folded in, so you can adjust your position for the right move you want to practice.
- Made for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, wrestling, MMA.
- Extended Arms For Accurate Practice.
- Realistic human body shape.
- Can be filled with used clothes / blankets/ textile shredded into smaller pieces. For the perfect look, we recommend Poly fillers Available / Cotton.
The Jayefo Beast 58 grappling dummy is an awesome tool for wrestling & BJJ practice. It can be set up both to lay straight or sitting up, to practice an array of moves, from guard attacks, to attacks from the top, as well as wrestling moves.
Available in 4 foot or 5 foot variations, it can weigh between 40-120 lbs depending on filler. Fully filled, it’s an excellent way to replicate a real training partner.
- Includes hands and feet (for demons who want to practice wristlocks).
- Ships 1-5 business days from Raleigh, North Carolina, ships internationally.
- Made of heavy-duty mil-spec cordura material, for a realistic feel when training
- Height equivalent of a 6 foot man and weighs approximately 55-60 pounds.
The ROLL HARD Brand Jiu Jitsu MMA Grappling Ground and Pound Dummy is a heavy-duty grappling dummy. Made with heavy-duty military-grade cordura material, the dummy is large and lifelike. The dummy is the size of a six-foot-tall man and weighs up to sixty pounds when stuffed.
The dummy is a bendable and flexible way to practice all kinds of Jiu-Jitsu, wrestling or mixed martial arts moves from throws to takedowns. The heavy-duty material ensures the dummy will more than survive your practice sessions and will be an integral part of in-class training.
- Comes filled.
- Ideal for myriad of training and fitness workouts, dummy comes with four padded reinforced handles on both sides and one top handle.
- Handles allow for a bevy of pushes, pulls, throws, thrusts, raises, rolls, etc. for serious MMA athletes and fitness workout.
- Made of durable polyester coated vinyl which provides same durability as leather, triple stitching.
- Measures: 38” x 15”, Weighs 60 Lbs. Color available: Black only
The Ring to Cage MMA Training and Fitness Dummy is not a person, but a large bag stuffed bag you can use for simulated throws, rolls, and takedowns. Mad with handles covering the outside, there are plenty of handholds to practice different moves and always grab your opponent correctly.
The bag handles are triple stitched for long-term use and have extra padding to protect your hands. Made of a durable polyester coated vinyl, the bag comes out durable as well as unique. It even has a top handle for throws. When full, the bag weighs up to sixty pounds.
When not using it for practicing moves, the bag is a durable, heavy-duty practice tool for strength training exercises. The handles make lifting the bag easy for all kinds of workouts.
Best Training Dummies for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: In Summary
A high-quality grappling dummy for BJJ can change the way you train, allowing you to get reps in when away from the gym, and log more time practicing high-risk moves in low-risk situations.
When it comes to training and drilling certain moves, lifelike is almost always better. At the same time, you need something that can not only take a beating but come in handy for other types of workouts and practice.
Check out one of the grappling dummies reviewed above to pick out the best one to add to your training regimen.